- Passing Twice will be at the National Stuttering Association (NSA) Conference July 4-8, 2018, at the Sheraton Grand Chicago hotel in Chicago, Illinois.
- Passing Twice will be conducting a workshop during the NSA conference at 9 AM on Thursday, July 5th, in the Sheraton Grand Chicago, Sheraton 5 ballroom.
- Come join us for fun, fellowship, great conversation, and most importantly, lots of love and support!
- More details will follow on the workshop and get togethers during the conference.
The NSA Young Adults will host a night out in downtown Chicago (after the NSA talent show) to explore the city’s night life, on Friday, July 6th. Some Passing Twice members will join the young adults for a time at the Sidetrack nightclub, in Chicago’s Boystown; everyone is welcome, regardless of your age, sexuality, gender, etc. Meeting time is 10PM, in the hotel lobby.
The NSA Young Adults will host a night out in downtown Chicago (after the NSA talent show) to explore the city’s night life, on Friday, July 6th. Passing Twice will join the young adults for a time at a gay nightclub; everyone is welcome, regardless of your age, sexuality, gender, etc. Meeting time is approximately 9PM, in the hotel lobby. Details to follow, at the meeting time.
Passing Twice: LGBTQ+ People Who Stutter
Billy Collins (Sheraton 5)
This workshop is an open discussion exploring the experiences of LGBTQ+ people who stutter. There are many parallels common to the LGBTQ+ and Stuttering communities, including passing as nonLGBTQ+ or fluent, coming out or disclosure, hiding in the closet or being covert, and other aspects of being a non-visible minority. While the discussions are about identifying as both LGBTQ+ and a PWS, the workshop is open to everyone regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.
Last week, a wide region of Southern Louisiana was devastated by historic floods. Over 30,000 people had to be rescued from floodwaters, and over 60,000 have been displaced from their homes. Several have lost their lives, and that number will likely increase as the waters recede and rescue efforts continue. Many people lost all they had, aside from the clothes they slept in the night before.
Baton Rouge and Lafayette – two cities with thriving NSA chapters – were hit particularly hard. Several NSA members in each chapter escaped with their lives but have lost their homes forever. There are likely more who have been affected, but communication has been difficult due to damage to cell towers, power outages, and limited access to internet.
A relief fund has been established to assist these NSA families as they rebuild. This email is a request to the broader NSA community to further assist the NSA members in Baton Rouge and Lafayette who, at present, are desperately trying to figure out how to rebuild their lives. Donations can be anonymous if you wish, and we ask that you only donate that with which you feel comfortable. The funds will be divided up evenly among the NSA members across Baton Rouge and Lafayette who have been displaced. Much of what was lost cannot be re-purchased, but a demonstration of support from their “second family” in the NSA may help ease their suffering and let them know that, as always, they are not alone.
NSA Louisiana Flood Relief Fund: www.gofund.me/2ky7wa4
Sincere thanks to Geoff Coalson, NSA Baton Rouge Chapter Leader for organizing this initiative.
Passing Twice will be hosting a Queer Night Out, tonight, Friday, July 8th for those at the NSA conference. We’ll be meeting at 7PM in the Hyatt Regency main lobby in Atlanta. We’ll go out for dinner at Shu’s Chinese restaurant and probably go to a bar afterwards! We hope to see everyone there!
- Passing Twice will be at the National Stuttering Association (NSA) / International Stuttering Association (ISA) Conference July 6-10, 2016, Hyatt Regency in Atlanta, Georgia
- Passing Twice will be conducting a workshop during the NSA conference at 9 AM on Friday, July 8th, in Hyatt Regency Centennial Ballroom 1
- The NSA 20-Somethings Group is hosting a LGBTQ night out on Thursday, July 7th at 10PM (This is not an official Passing Twice event)